07 July 2011

Review- Witches of East End


Title: Witches of East End
Publisher: Hyperion
Find it here: Amazon, Goodreads
Source: ARC compliments of Hyperion

The three Beauchamp women--Joanna and her daughters Freya and Ingrid--live in North Hampton, out on the tip of Long Island. Their beautiful, mist-shrouded town seems almost stuck in time, and all three women lead seemingly quiet, uneventful existences. But they are harboring a mighty secret--they are powerful witches banned from using their magic. Joanna can resurrect people from the dead and heal the most serious of injuries. Ingrid, her bookish daughter, has the ability to predict the future and weave knots that can solve anything from infertility to infidelity. And finally, there's Freya, the wild child, who has a charm or a potion that can cure most any heartache.

For centuries, all three women have been forced to suppress their abilities. But then Freya, who is about to get married to the wealthy and mysterious Bran Gardiner, finds that her increasingly complicated romantic life makes it more difficult that ever to hide her secret. Soon Ingrid and Joanna confront similar dilemmas, and the Beauchamp women realize they can no longer conceal their true selves. They unearth their wands from the attic, dust off their broomsticks, and begin casting spells on the townspeople. It all seems like a bit of good-natured, innocent magic, but then mysterious, violent attacks begin to plague the town. When a young girl disappears over the Fourth of July weekend, they realize it's time to uncover who and what dark forces are working against them.

My thoughts:

I've been a long time fan of Melissa de la Cruz and I haven't come across a published work of hers that I do not like. She is a fantastic writer, the Blue Bloods series is amazing and Witches of East End is no different.

Cruz weaves such a uniquely complicated story that at first I was worried that I was going to get lost in all the details of the witches and the townspeople. But I was sucked in so completely that following along and understanding was very easy. It was so interesting and I always wanted to know what happened next.

The chemistry and tension between Freya and Killian was so intense and hot I could almost feel the heat coming off the pages. Even though she's technically cheating on her fiance Bran, in a way I was rooting for Killian because of their unusual connection. I loved Freya's centuries old love story and that she has been searching for her long lost love for hundreds of years.

While they were doing their magic, I was on the edge of my seat, waiting for something bad to happen because they're not supposed to be using their powers! I was almost saying to myself, "Not so much magic. Take it down a notch, you're using too much!" The mystery and the possibility of what was lurking around the next corner was just to intriguing! And just when I thought I had the whole story figured out, the ending blew me a way and completely caught me off guard.

Anyone who loves Melissa de la Cruz and the Blue Bloods series, then Witches of East End is a must read; especially with the mysterious appearance of a few Blue Blood characters!

1 comments:

Jules said...

I was so tempted to buy this one last time I was in the book store but I didn't.

It is definitely one that I want to read at some point soon thou!

Post a Comment

I love feedback and really want to know what you think! Comment away!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Cute Little Monster kit by MK-Designs