26 November 2012

Middle Grade Monday: The Time-Traveling Fashionista



Hey! Welcome to Middle Grade Monday, a weekly feature I started to talk about anything middle grade bookish related! I never thought I would really enjoy middle grade novels but after reading my first one this year, I was hooked! Since I review mainly YA on this blog, I didn't want the middle grade reviews to get shuffled in with the YA books so I decided to create this feature!

Title: The Time-Traveling Fashionista
Author: Bianca Turetsky
Publisher: Poppy
Find it here: B&N, Goodreads, Mysterious Galaxy
Source: Library

What if a beautiful vintage dress could take you back in time?

Louise Lambert has always dreamed of movie starlets and exquisite gowns and longs for the day when she can fill the closet of her normal suburban home with stylish treasures. But when she receives a mysterious invitation to a vintage fashion sale in the mail, her once painfully average life is magically transformed into a time-travel adventure.

Suddenly onboard a luxurious cruise ship a hundred years ago, Louise relishes the glamorous life of this opulent era and slips into a life of secrets, drama, and decadence. . . .

Dreamy and imaginative, The Time-Traveling Fashionista features thirty full-color fashion illustrations to show gorgeous dresses and styles throughout history.

My thoughts:

I've been hearing about The Time-Traveling Fashionista since it first came out and literally been wanting to read it since then as well! But I had no idea it was a middle grade book! A few months ago I spotted a copy of it at the bookstore and when I flipped through it I was shocked to find such beautiful illustrations and I knew that I had to read it! 

I loved the characterization of Louise! She's this girl who is born into a wealthy family whose mom would buy her whatever clothing she wanted but she always chooses to search endlessly though thrift stores and vintage shop because she is obsessed with fashion.  She's a somewhat geeky seventh grader who hasn't grown into her body yet.  Even though she enjoys her life she wishes that there was a little more adventure. She gets invited to a traveling vintage sale her whole world changes! 

I loved the part when she was on the Titanic! I loved the mix of historical fiction and modern touches throughout the story.  I love everything about the Titanic so this book was especially fun for me! The famous, glamorous people, beautiful, old fashioned dressed and not enough life boats for everyone. As much as Louise was trying to be the famous actress that everyone thought she was she was also very much herself.  She formed a friendship with her maid and possibly saved her life in the end.  It was a very fun story and I'm so glad that the series is going to continue! I give The Time-Traveling Fashionista 4 hearts because who doesn't want to read about a teenager who time travels just by putting on a vintage dress! 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback and really want to know what you think! Comment away!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Cute Little Monster kit by MK-Designs