12 April 2014

What Does the Bookworm Say? Negative Reviews



The topic this week is “Do I write negative reviews?” Don't forget to check out this topic at Nite Lite Reviews, The Reader's Antidote and The Windy Pages.

The simple answer to this question is yes! I don’t think there is anything wrong with a negative review. When an author puts their work out into the world, it’s natural that there are going to be some people who absolutely love it and some people who don’t like it as much and maybe even hate it.



When it comes to writing a negative review, I usually take more care and choose my words more carefully than if I were writing a positive review. I try to be very concise so that my words aren't twisted or taken out of context.

I think negative reviews are really important and I usually want to tell my readers why I didn't like a book. Whether a book had no plot, really annoying characters or a stupid love triangle; these are thing I like to talk about in a negative review even though these likes and dislikes are based purely on opinion.

When it comes to reading reviews, I always read the negative reviews because I really want to know why some readers did not like the book! I always want to weigh the book and the bad before I buy a book. And by writing a negative review I hope that I can help out another reader weigh their pros and cons before purchasing.

The only thing I really have to say about negative reviews is that I'm all for them! I like to write them and I like to read them! 

What do you think about negative reviews? Do you like to read/write them?

Have a topic you would like us to talk about? Let me know in the comments! 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with you. The point of reviewing is not to only talk about books we liked but to talk about books we read in general. If I disliked a book I want to tell my readers why I did so and if they disagree then all the more power to them.

I often find negative reviews helpful. They tend to be very honest and when matched with a positive review one can get a good bearing for a book and decide if it's worth a read or not.

Saying that, I do think words can be hurtful and I try to be more careful with them. At it's gist though, reviews are biased opinions so I don't think there is anything wrong with negative ones.

Must Love Books said...

Sadly I think writing negative reviews is so much easier than writing positive ones. And I've noticed that my negative reviews receive more comments as well. The negative ones are the fun ones!

kimberlybuggie said...

Great post Crystal! I write negative reviews as well and I think they're important for READERS to read. I read negative reviews too so I have a better understanding about what I may not like about the book. And if I don't think those things will bother me, I'll pick it up anyway!

Alysia said...

Personally, I can't see reading a bad/not so good book and not telling you about it. I mean I need to share the pain and make sure you don't make the same mistakes I made.

cotton silk bed sheets said...

I think negative reviews are really important and I usually want to tell my readers why I didn't like a book. Whether a book had no plot, really annoying characters or a stupid love triangle; these are thing I like to talk about in a negative review even though these likes and dislikes are based purely on opinion. double bed fitted sheet , razai ke cover ,

Post a Comment

I love feedback and really want to know what you think! Comment away!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Cute Little Monster kit by MK-Designs