01 November 2011

Review- Eighth Grade Bites

Title: Eighth Grate Bites
Author: Heather Brewer
Series: The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod #1
Publisher: Dutton Children's Books
Find it here: Amazon, Goodreads
Source: PaperBackSwap

Junior high really sucks for thirteen-year-old Vladimir Tod. Bullies harass him, the principal is dogging him, and the girl he likes prefers his best friend. Oh, and Vlad has a secret: his mother was human, but his father was a vampire. With no idea of the extent of his powers, Vlad struggles daily with his blood cravings and his enlarged fangs. When a substitute teacher begins to question him a little too closely, Vlad worries that his cover is about to be blown. But then he faces a much bigger problem: he’s being hunted by a vampire killer.

My thoughts: 

Before picking up this series, I had always seen them on the shelves everywhere and I even though that they pre-dated Twilight but unfortunately they don't.  One of the reasons I really wanted to read the Chronicles of Vladimir Tod is because of the titles of the books.  I liked how they followed the main character by the school years.  But I had hesitations.  Even after getting Eighth Grade Bites, it sat on my self for quiet some time.  I thought it might be a lame middle grade vampire book.  I also had not seen it around much on the blog but this book completely surprised me.  

I loved everything about this book.  There's the mystery of how his parents died and why only their bedroom burned and not the whole house.  The mystery concerning his existence and whether or not there are other vampires out there.  He starts finding strange things in the house he lived in with his parents and the weird substitute teacher who somehow knows he's a vampire.  What I thought would be extremely boring and incredible lame has turned out to be one of my favorite series right now.

I had also been itching to read a good vampire book for some time now.  After Twilight, I read as many vampire books as I could and burnt myself out on them so I've been mainly reading other paranormal themes.  But I think I'm getting a taste for vampires again and this was a good book to start me out!


2 comments:

Bookish Brunette said...

I've been debating on whether to start this series too... I think I shall buy the first book!

Anna @ Literary Exploration said...

I've been thinking about starting this series, I always pick it up when I go to the library, but I never end up reading it. I'll definitely have to check it out now! Great review!

Anna @ Literary Exploration

Post a Comment

I love feedback and really want to know what you think! Comment away!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Cute Little Monster kit by MK-Designs