07 November 2011

Review- Unearthly

Title: Unearthly
Author: Cynthia Hand
Series: Unearthly #1
Publisher: HarperCollins
Find it here: Amazon, Goodreads
Source: Purchased

In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .

Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.

As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?

My thoughts: 

Unearthly was the first book I read for the Frightfull Fall Read-a-Thon.  I literally started it in the morning and finished it before I went to bed that night.  I couldn't put it down down, it's that good.  I can't even tell you exactly what I loved so much but it's amazing! There are many books that I love and I would recommend to almost everyone I know who loves to read but there are very few books that I connect to on almost every level.

If I could give out Ashley at The Bookish Brunette's crown of epicness award, I would give it to Unearthly, hands down, no questions asked.  And now that I have read Hallowed (the sequel) I love it even more!

I love Cynthia Hand's portrayal of the angels.  She tells the story of the angles of God who saw how beautiful human women are so they decided to mate with them, thus creating angel-bloods, part-human and part-angel.  But some of these full-blooded angels decided to separate themselves from God and as a result their wings turned black.  Supposedly, they are unable to feel joy and happiness and they radiate massive amounts of sorrow.

All angel-bloods have a purpose for which they are made which reveals itself to the person sometime around their late teenage years.  The beginning of Unearthly finds Clara having these visions of a fire and a certain boy that she thinks she needs to save.  They end up moving from California to Wyoming so that she can fulfill her purpose because it's that important!

That's where she meets super-sexy, completely country, the hottest cowboy to ever be written named Tucker.  And I love Tucker.  I'm a huge fan of Tucker.  I actually like all the characters.  Even the ones that are supposed to be bad, I understand on one level or another. 

Angela is a great character and one of my favorites!  I love that Clara was able to meet another angel-blood her age who she can tell her secrets to.  The other great thing about Angels is her undying thirst to know as much as she can about what it means to be an angel-blood and their history which is great for Clara, because I think that Clara is too accepting of the fact that her mother tells her almost nothing.  Together they're able to learn about Black wings and their purposes.  

Even though I love Tucker and he's one of my favorite characters as well, I also love Christian.  He always has Clara's best interested at hear even if he can seem like a jerk at times.  He really is the epitome of all teenage hottness.  Tall, dark, handsome, piercing blue eyes, wealthy, smart and popular.  He's pretty much what most teenage girls want in a boyfriend.  But unfortunately for Clara, Christian already has a girlfriend and she is a typical "mean girl".  I don't want to give anything away but Christian turns out to be someone completely great and not at all what I expected.  

I just absolutely love this book!  It's is so beautifully written and it's one of those stories that stays with you after you've finished reading it.  If you haven't read it yet, GET IT NOW!  Hallowed releases in January! 


6 comments:

Anna @ Literary Exploration said...

I loved this book SO MUCH. I'm so excited to read Hallowed :)) I can't wait to find out what's going to happen with everyone!! Awesome review!!

Anna @ Literary Exploration

Steph: Short and Sweet said...

This book is on my shelf waiting to be loved by me! I read the first couple of pages and I was already hooked. Nice review :)

Bookish Brunette said...

Oooh I need to read this one!!!!

sarah darlington said...

I really really loved this one too :)

Kat said...

I really want to read this one. Glad to hear that it's so good. :)

Christina Reads YA said...

I really liked UNEARTHLY... but didn't think HALLOWED quite lived up to its awesomeness sadly... but the twists Cynthia Hand puts on angel mythology are really refreshing. Can't wait to see what she does next!

Post a Comment

I love feedback and really want to know what you think! Comment away!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Cute Little Monster kit by MK-Designs