01 February 2014

What Does the Bookworm Say? Favorite Romances


We're back this week with another discussion post of What Does the Bookworm Say?! Go check out my fellow book bloggers, Nite Lite Book Reviews, The Reader's Antidote and The Windy Pages, as we discuss this week's topic. In honor of Valentine's Day we are discussing our favorite romances. It is literally so windy right now I feel like I should be talking about my favorite horror novels! 

I usually don't read books that are strictly romance and I've certainly never read the typical "romance" novel. I usually go for adventure, fantasy or paranormal books before I pick up contemporary or romance.  Those are my go-to. I like a plot that is enhanced by the romance, not driven by it.  But there have been a few books that I've read and loved that I would consider romancey. 

1. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger: I loved this book so much. It is such a beautiful story of love and the course of two people's lives and how they come together and meet. It's so unique and all the characters are just amazing.  It's not only one of my favorite romance novels but it's just one of my all time favorite books. 



2. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green: This is not only a great story about love but also about friendships and the relationships between people in general.  I love the emphasis on making every moment count and living life to the fullest. 



3. Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell: The great thing about Eleanor & Park is that is doesn't have a satisfying happy ending.  It is very realistic in the fact that most high school romances are not going to last forever. 



4. Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols: I loved Going Too Far and the two main characters because they have that type of healthy relationship that not only helps fix a lot of the past hurt in their lives but also challenges each other to be better people. John After is also one of my favorite males characters ever!


5. Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins: I loved this book because it just shows how much we can miss out on if we let other people influence us.  Cricket let his sister's opinion get in the way of his feelings for Lola and it really created a barrier in their relationship.  But it's such a great story with a quirky main character that I just loved from start to finish. 


Even though these aren't the typical "romance" novel, romance is still the most prominent feature in these books so I'm going to call them love stories.  So what are some of your favorite love stories? Let me know in the comments!

1 comments:

kimberlybuggie said...

I love Time Traveler's Wife. I love all of your choices, though I haven't read Lola yet. I want to! Anna was so good!!

Post a Comment

I love feedback and really want to know what you think! Comment away!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Cute Little Monster kit by MK-Designs