22 September 2011

Review- The Iron Daughter

Title: The Iron Daughter
Author: Julie Kagawa
Series: Iron Fey #2
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Find it here: Amazon, Goodreads
Source: Purchased

Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere.  Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner t the Winter faery queen.  As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey--ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen.  But no one believes her.

Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off.  She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help.  Trusting anyone would be foolish.  Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly.  But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.

My thoughts: 

I have never been particularly drawn to the fey or stories about fairies.  My first thought when I first started reading The Iron King was that the fey were actually the size of Tinkerbell  but they just grew themselves the size of humans like Julia Roberts does in Hook.  Then when they take a human, like Meghan, back to the faery land, they are again the size of Tinkerbell but they just don't realize it.  Another automatic thought it how can a fairy the size of Tinkerbell really do that much damage when you can just squash them like an insect.

But I don't have any of those thoughts now that I'm knee deep in Julia Kagawa's Iron Fey land.  I love this series and to date, it's the only fey series that I have continued with. The Wings series by Aprilynne Pike? A little bit boring and couldn't hold my attention.  Need by Carrie Jones? Other than the phobias I honestly don't remember the story line.  Tithe by Holly Black? Way too dark and demonic for me. Maybe it's because none of those series have Ash! I love Ash. Totally team Ash. 100%.

There was so much going on in The Iron Daughter that kept me flipping the pages.  There were points where I was convinced that Ash hated Meghan and I didn't know what to think! I was also getting so upset because none of the other fey would believe them that the Iron Fey truly existed. Then there's the amazing electric chemistry between Meghan and Ash that made me all tingly! The Iron Daughter just made me run a roller coaster of emotions.  I love the whole "star-crossed lover, we're not supposed to be together but we are going to be anyway" thing.  It's my favorite thing in books!

One of my absolute favorite characters (besides Ash, duh!) is Grimalkin.  We really haven't seen his true nature yet but he always surprises me.  Even though he always alludes to him being mean and not really wanting to help out, he always shows up in the nick of time and has been loyal throughout the series so far.

I love this series and I need to hurry up and get to The Iron Queen so I can read The Iron Knight!!!!


5 comments:

Bookish Brunette said...

I've only read The Iron King so far!!! I'm dying to finish the series!!!

Sarah W. said...

Read the Iron Queen ASAP! It's so great! I also was able to read The Iron Knight in advance and that was amazing. I already can't wait to reread the series :)

Great review!

-Sarah (Inklings Read)

Ron C. Nieto said...

Hello!

I'm so, so happy to read that The Iron Fey has changed your look on faeries! I developed a healthy obsession with them a while back, but as you say - not the Tinkerbell stuff, the myths and folklore. Precisely that's why I loved this series so much, because it sticks to lore and to its dark side while using to highlight the value of the characters!

Grimalkin is, I agree, one of the best members of the cast. I also liked Ironhorse here - he played a very noble role, don't you think? And he's setting up a lot of things for The Iron Queen! Don't worry, I won't spoil it for you... But I hope you'll read it soon so we can share thoughts and opinions on them!

If you hurry, you'll catch up in time with the release of Iron Knight... and boy, that's a book for Team Ash! I enjoyed it so much that I almost was depressed when it was over... :)

Ron @ Stories of my life

Michelle Flick said...

I just finished this book last night. My review is going to go up tomorrow. I am team Ash too!!

Kathy said...

I am so glad that you are enjoying this series.

I am totally Team Ash as well. Love him.

I can't wait to see what you think of the next books.

Post a Comment

I love feedback and really want to know what you think! Comment away!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Cute Little Monster kit by MK-Designs