29 November 2012

Audio Book Review: Outpost

Title: Outpost
Author: Ann Aguirre
Series: Razorland #2
Publisher: MacMillian
Find it here: B&N, Goodreads, Mysterious Galaxy
Source: Audio Book provided by MacMillian Young Listners

Deuce’s whole world has changed. Down below, she was considered an adult. Now, topside in a town called Salvation, she’s a brat in need of training in the eyes of the townsfolk. She doesn't fit in with the other girls: Deuce only knows how to fight.

To make matters worse, her Hunter partner, Fade, keeps Deuce at a distance. Her feelings for Fade haven’t changed, but he seems not to want her around anymore. Confused and lonely, she starts looking for a way out.

Deuce signs up to serve in the summer patrols—those who make sure the planters can work the fields without danger. It should be routine, but things have been changing on the surface, just as they did below ground. The Freaks have grown smarter. They’re watching. Waiting. Planning. The monsters don’t intend to let Salvation survive, and it may take a girl like Deuce to turn back the tide.

My thoughts: 

I was so excited to get started on this audio book right after I finished Enclave because of that ending! I'm going to try to write this review as spoiler free as I can and I hope that I succeed! If you haven't started reading this series yet then you need to! Absolutely!!

Now that Duce and Fade have been brought to the outpost and have found a safe place to live, Duce is struggling to fit in. The people of Salvation expect her to act like a woman in the traditional sense meaning that men only to the hunting and the fighting and the women wear dresses and do all the cooking and house cleaning. Since all Duce ever wanted to be was a huntress, this is really hard for her to except.  Meanwhile, Fade and Duce are somewhat on the outs making Duce feel even more alone and isolated.

Duce is such a strong female character and she never truly conforms into what these people expect her to be. She holds on to huntress nature and has to prove herself worthy of being able to protect the town.  Event though I really like Fade, he is really sensitive sometimes! As soon as he feels a little bit hurt or rejected, he runs off, hides away and doesn't talk to anyone.  He kind of reminds me of a girl! I also think it's funny that they have to keep reassuring each other that they really do like each other.  It's obvious that they trust each other with their lives, but they're unsure of the part of their relationship that involves feelings.  And the zombie-like creatures are getting even crazier! I hope in the third book we really get to know what's going on with then and really learn more about their origins!

The Razorland series is such a great apocalypse series and one of my favorite dystopians right now! It's full of adventure, romance, people fighting to survive and blood and guts! And the reader of this series is great! Her voice has the perfect amount of toughness for Duce while still being a girl! I give the Outpost audio book 5 hearts for literally having me on the edge of my seat while I was driving my car!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback and really want to know what you think! Comment away!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Cute Little Monster kit by MK-Designs