09 June 2011

Review- Hereafter


Title: Hereafter
Author: Tara Hudson
Publisher: HarperCollins
Rating: 3/5
Find it here: Amazon, Goodreads
Source: ARC via Netgalley

Can there truly be love after death?

Drifting in the dark waters of a mysterious river, the only thing Amelia knows for sure is that she's dead. With no recollection of her past life-or her actual death-she's trapped alone in a nightmarish existence. All of this changes when she tries to rescue a boy, Joshua, from drowning in her river. As a ghost, she can do nothing but will him to live. Yet in an unforgettable moment of connection, she helps him survive.

Amelia and Joshua grow ever closer as they begin to uncover the strange circumstances of her death and the secrets of the dark river that held her captive for so long. But even while they struggle to keep their bond hidden from the living world, a frightening spirit named Eli is doing everything in his power to destroy their new found happiness and drag Amelia back into the ghost world....forever.

My thoughts:

I felt there was something missing in this book. It was the typical boy meet girl, girl's a ghost and now they have to figure out how that's going to work. Well, I guess that's not so typical but I felt like that was the whole plot line. I also lacked the emotional connection to the characters that makes the story memorable. It didn't win a place in my heart.

My favorite parts of the story were the fact that she only knew her name and nothing else and her trying to figure out her life and how she died. I'm really a sucker for a good mystery so I was very intrigued when different aspects of her life started to be revealed.

Of course, there was a bad guy, Eli, and he was the spirit who was charged with watching over the river and meadow area where Amelia died. He wasn't all that scary and I expected Amelia to win out in the end now matter what happened. I didn't really worry for her like I have for other characters in stories I've read before. When I read this type of book, I want to be sitting on the edge of my seat, unable to anticipate the next move or the next scene. But I didn't feel that anxiousness in this book.

Even though the story line was really good and very interesting, I just didn't feel the chemistry between the two main characters; I couldn't get a solid sense of their feelings. Although I was left unsatisfied, I was intrigued enough to continue reading the series if it should continue.

1 comments:

Sugar and Snark said...

Thanks for the review! Might have to borrow this one.

Post a Comment

I love feedback and really want to know what you think! Comment away!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Cute Little Monster kit by MK-Designs