07 June 2011

Review- Ultraviolet


Title: Ultraviolet
Publisher: Orchard
Rating: 3/5
Find it here: Amazon, Goodreads
Source: ARC via Netgalley

Once upon a time, there was a girl who was special.

This is not her story.

Unless you count the part where I killed her.

Sixteen-year-old Alison has been sectioned in a mental institute for teens, having murdered the most perfect and popular girl at school. But the case is a mystery: no body has been found, and Alison's condition is proving difficult to diagnose. Alison herself can't explain what happened: one minute she was fighting with Tori-the next she disintegrated. Into nothing. But that's impossible. Right?

My thoughts:

I was completely unaware of what I was getting myself into when I started reading Ultraviolet. Not only was it a mystery, but it was a huge dive into the world of psychology. Have you ever wondered if numbers have personalities or if you could taste words or see sounds? I would have to say that the mixing of the senses was my favorite part of the book. The way that the main character would explain how different words would taste different and how numbers had personalities.

I'm not going to give away any spoilers or tell you how it ended, but I was completely surprised and I still haven't decided if it was good or bad. I was so caught off guard that I'm not sure how I feel about it. If the ending could be changed to be a little different I think this book would be absolutely amazing.

Not many books shed light on those who live on the margins of society and suffer from mental illnesses. I really give R.J. Anderson props for telling a story about teens in a mental institution and showing their perspective on life.


2 comments:

Sandy said...

FYI: I can't get over how cute your blog looks.

Anyway this sounds like a good read so I'll keep it on my TBR shelf but it sounds like I don't need to read it anytime soon.

Sandy

Katie said...

I read this not that long ago and felt the same way. There was quite a few shocks! Great book though!

Post a Comment

I love feedback and really want to know what you think! Comment away!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Cute Little Monster kit by MK-Designs