16 July 2011

Review- Past Midnight

Title: Past Midnight
Author: Mara Purnhagen
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Find it here: Amazon, Goodreads
Source: R.A.K. (Random Acts of Kindness)

Let me set the record straight.  My name is Charlotte Silver and I'm not one of those paranormal-obsessed freaks you see on TV...no, those would be my parents, who have their own ghost-hunting reality show.  And while I'm usually roped into the behind-the-scenes work, it turns out that I haven't gone unnoticed.  Something happened on my parents' research trip in Charleston-and now I'm being stalked by some truly frightening other beings.  Trying to fit into a new school and keeping my parents' creepy occupation a secret from my friends-and potential boyfriends-is hard enough without having angry spirits whispering in my ear.

All I ever wanted was to be normal, but with ghosts of my past and present colliding, now I just want to make it out of high school alive...

My thoughts:

I really like books that have to do with ghosts and hauntings.  Sometimes they're fun, light and good-natured and others are super scary and gruesome.  I would classify Past Midnight as the former because the main character is really comical about her paranormal-obsessed family and their ghost-hunting reality show.

Since I also really enjoy a good mystery, this book was right up my alley! Ghost hunters trying to figure out the mystery of why some ghosts have decided to haunt their daughter.  It was so fun to read because I always wanted to know what was going to happen next and if they had discovered more information when they were digging into the past.

Charlotte, the main character who is being haunted by ghosts, is very embarrassed about what her parents do and had been teased about it at other schools that she attended.  She prefers to keep that part of her life a secret until Halloween rolls around.  But she soon finds out that her friends are more upset with her for not telling them the whole truth than the fact that her family is a little different.

My favorite character in the book is the nerdy yet hot guy that is her partner in her AV class.  I'm a really sucker for nerdy guys.  He's a real gentleman who knows who she is, about her family and knew that she would tell him when she was ready.  And his mom being a big fan of the Silver family is really funny!

The story was set up very nicely and there was just enough character development for it to be a series! I'm super excited about the next one, which I already have waiting for me.  It's a really fun ghost story that has made me very interested to see how it continues.

1 comments:

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

Since it isn't gruesome and scary, it is more like something I would read. I like that cover too! Great review :)

Post a Comment

I love feedback and really want to know what you think! Comment away!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Cute Little Monster kit by MK-Designs