12 July 2012

Review: The Disenchantments

Title: The Disenchantments
Author: Nina LaCour
Publisher: Dutton Children's Books
Find it here: Amazon, Goodreads
Source: Purchased

Colby and Bev have a long-standing pact: graduate, hit the road with Bev's band, and then spend the year wandering around Europe. But moments after the tour kicks off, Bev makes a shocking announcement: she's abandoning their plans - and Colby - to start college in the fall.

But the show must go on and The Disenchantments weave through the Pacific Northwest, playing in small towns and dingy venues, while roadie- Colby struggles to deal with Bev's already-growing distance and the most important question of all: what's next?

Morris Award–finalist Nina LaCour draws together the beauty and influences of music and art to brilliantly capture a group of friends on the brink of the rest of their lives.

My thoughts:

After reading Morgan Matson’s Amy and Roger’s Epic Detour and loving it, I knew I had to get my hands on another road trip book! And the first one that I came across was The Disenchantments. I already knew what to expect from this book because I went to one of Nina LaCour’s book signings and it turned out to be everything that I hoped it would be.

I always feel like reading a book is an entirely new experience when it’s told from a male’s perspective. Guys think about different thinks, they notice things that girl might not and they just see the world differently. I also loved the contrast of reading a road trip book from a girl’s perspective and then reading one from a guys.

I loved the relationship between the two main characters! It just goes to prove that guys and girls cannot be friends. Colby is best friends with Bev because he’s been in love with her his whole life. Bev doesn’t quite see it that way. He’s hoping that someday their relationship will evolve into the next step but Bev is too afraid to let anyone really know what’s going on with her, even her best friend. It is such a complex relationship that made for a great read.

I was upset with Bev when I found out what she really wanted to do after high school and I got even more upset when she wouldn’t tell Colby her reasons right away. I identify more with Colby because he believes people should say what they mean. Every plan that he made for their trip to Europe he meant and Bev knew that but she was only pretending the whole time. I really felt bad for Colby after thing because I always seem to be on the “just kidding” end of thing like this.

I can’t imagine planning for years and years what you’re going to do after high school only to have to change it a few weeks before it starts. I can only think that it’s devastating! I loved all the little towns they went to and the people they met along the way. They really played important roles in the character’s lives.

The Disenchantments is really fun and it helped me kick off my summer reading! I love contemporary books like this and I can’t seem to get enough of them! I give the Disenchantments 5 heart for being unique and fun while dealing with complicated issues.


4 comments:

Vegan YA Nerds said...

I really enjoyed your review hun, it is great! I like the sound of the complex relationship btw Bev and Colby and I already feel so sorry for him! In so many YA books the boy likes his girl bf but the girl treats the boys badly :(

I have a copy of this on my shelf, thanks for reminding me that I need to read it!

Molli @ Once Upon a Prologue said...

Fantastic review, Crystal! I had no idea this one was from a male POV, so now I need to read it even MORE than I already wanted to before! I like how you highlighted the parts of it you liked. It definitely seems like a fun summer-y read!

Molli | Once Upon A Prologue

Belle said...

As soon as I saw the cover I knew I wanted to read this book. Yes, I judge books by their covers. But it's just so pretty! Glad you enjoyed it!

Krystianna said...

I'm glad to see that you really liked it! I'm seriously going to have to check this one out. It seems like a good summer read. Great review!

Post a Comment

I love feedback and really want to know what you think! Comment away!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Cute Little Monster kit by MK-Designs