05 July 2012

Review: Insurgent

Title: Insurgent
Author: Veronica Roth
Series: Divergent #2
Publisher: HarperTeen
Find it here: Amazon, Goodreads
Source: Purchased

One choice can transform you--or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable--and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.

My thoughts: 

**CAUTION!! SPOILER ALERT! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK**

Divergent was one of my favorite reads of last year! I gave it to my mom to read and she loved it as well! I’ve come across very few people who didn’t like this book. Of course, like the crazy fan that I am, I pre-ordered Insurgent as soon as it had a cover! I could not wait to get it! Since I’m a nice person I let my mom read it first because was itching to read it just as much as I was. Before I even got a chance to read it, my mom told me that it reminded her of that movie The Village. WHAT??!!?? Thanks for the spoiler, mom!

That spoiler wasn’t too bad though. I still got to experience to story and all that led up to the discovery of the video and the ending, but I always had that in the back of my mind. Insurgent was just so full of action I thought I would have a little bit of trouble keeping up with everything that was going on. But Roth is such a great storyteller that I was sucked in immediately!

Insurgent really shows a lot of what goes on between Tris and Four and we get to see the growth of their relationship. They kept things from each other way too many times and I found myself frustrated by them. If they want to be able to work together throughout the rest of the story, than they really need to communicate better. The foundations of their relationship were really tested but they turned out okay at the end.

My one complaint is that I thought the story was somewhat choppy. After reading Divergent I was under the impression that the factions were separated by at least twenty miles or so. So when they go from one scene to the next in different factions, I found myself confused. How did they get there? Did they walk or drive? But then at the end when they’re driving to Dauntless, it takes a few hours. I found those parts a little inconsistent.

I wasn’t overly shocked by the ending because of the spoiler my mom told me, but I still got shivers while I was reading it! I’m really interested to see how the story plays out and what is going to happen to the factions at the end! I give Insurgent 4 hearts because it was a really great follow up to Divergent!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback and really want to know what you think! Comment away!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Cute Little Monster kit by MK-Designs