15 December 2009

A Sobfest of Books

Today I would like to take the time to remember the top 5 books that made me cry. Books that leave us in tears are usually the ones that stick in our memories. When we become so attached to a book and it's characters, their passions, love or loss can move our emotions and cause us to feel as if the characters have somehwo become apart of ourselves. So, without future ado, I'd like to share the 5 books that made me cry the most (MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS).

#5- A Farewell to Arms by Earnet Hemmingway

This was the first book that made me cry. I had to read it in high school for one of my english classes. It wasn't so much that I liked the book and the characters, but the ending was just so sad. I often found that I was lost in all the details and I currently forget the bulk of the story. What I mostly remember is that the main character is in a war, fall in love with a nurse (whom he knew before he went to war), got her pregnant and plans on marrying her and starting a family when he gets out of the military. But she goes into distress, gives birth to a stillborn baby and she bleeds to death. He then leaves the hospital, walks out into the pouring rain and it just ends. What kind of ending is that!!

#4- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling

I remained emotionally steady through most of the Harry Potter series as it is somewhat of a quick read. But it never occured to me that Harry might die in the end. But when he made his way to the forest, ready to fight Voldermort even if it mean sacrificing himself so that others might live, I lost it. I thought, "wow, Harry thinks he might die!" But as well all know, the only part of Harry that dies is the Voldermort part and they all (well, most of them) live happily ever after!

#3- A Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray

Thorughout the Gemma Doyle series, I became quite attached to the relationship between Gemma and Kartik. Their love developed through their friendship and he was always there to help her out of a jam. Then when they entered the temple and were able to walk in each other's dreams, I was so excited that they were meant for each other. Their chemistry just jumped right off the pages. So imagine my disappointment when he sacrifices himself to that very large tree and can never again leave the Realms. Although their love could never survive the scrutiny of the outside world (gypsies were looked down upon) it's just not fair. They were SOULMATES and now their love can never be. Oh how I cried.

#2- The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

One of my top 10 favorite book of all time, this book had me hooked from page 1. The two main character's (Henry and Claire) love for each other was so pure. He was the love of her life and he became the man she needed him to be. And they went through so much together. She always waited for him to come back when he was time travelling. And then he gets shot while traveling and the thing is, he gets shot by Claire's dad, back when she was 12 years old. He dies and it's so sad but she saw him a couple more times from when he time traveled to the future. Their reunions were so emotional.

#1- Tuesday's With Morrie by Mitch Albom

Now this is a very different kind of book. It's not specifically about one thing, but about all things; life. Its about a dying man who passes on his life advice to one of his former students. Its just so sad because every page is about death and dying and how to make your life better. And then of course the old man dies in the end. This book is number one on my list because I cried through every page of this book.

Well, that's my current list of books that made me cry the most but I'm sure there will be many more to come. If you're looking for a good sobfest book, I'm sure any Nicholas Sparks or Jodi Picoult book will do the trick.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback and really want to know what you think! Comment away!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Cute Little Monster kit by MK-Designs