03 April 2011

Review-The Goddess Test

Title: The Goddess Test
Author: Aimee Carter
Published: 26 April 2011
Pages: 297
Rating: 4/5

Received from NetGalley

Synopsis provided by GoodReads:

Every girl who has taken the test has died.

Now it's Kate's turn.

It's always been just Kate and her mom-and now her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld-and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy-until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.

If she fails...

My thoughts:

The Goddess Test is somewhat of a modern retelling of Greek mythology or a "what would happen if the Greek myths were real and all or most of the gods still existed". The basic gist is that Henry feel in love with Persephone thousands and thousands of years ago but has since died and Henry now needs someone to rule the underworld with him. In order to become a goddess, Kate must pass all seven tests to receive immortality if this is going to happen.

I really enjoyed reading this book partly because the story was awesome and partly because I haven't read many books based on Greek mythology. The story grabbed right from the beginning and I had a hard time putting it down, which is probably why I read it in one day! I have a hard time even dealing with the thought of family members dying so I was pretty much crying in the first few chapters of the book.

I love that there were twists and turns all throughout the book and it constantly kept me guessing. If I could give a theme to this book it would be: Nothing is as it seems! Carter writes with such flow and ease it was not hard to just fly through the book. And I loved the ending! It was definitely a good book and a series I would continue reading!

3 comments:

Grace at Feeding My Book Addiction said...

Great review! I also got a copy from NetGalley. After reading your review, I think I'm going to put it on the top of my 'to read' list.

Grace @ feedingmybookaddiction.blogspot.com

brandileigh2003 said...

This sounds great. I've got this on my phone to read, but haven't started yet.
Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Lamia (The Book Eater) said...

This is next on my to-read list. Like, I'm actually going to read it the minute I finish my current read. I'm so so so excited for this!
Thank you for a lovely review :)

Post a Comment

I love feedback and really want to know what you think! Comment away!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Cute Little Monster kit by MK-Designs