21 April 2011

Review- Second Helpings

Title: Second Helpings
Publisher: Three Rivers Press
Rating: 5/5
Find it here: Amazon, Goodreads

Blurb:

"Knowing that I've just done something that will take take decades off my parents' lives with worry, you'll excuse me for not getting into the fa-la-la-la-la Yuletide spirit this year...The only difference between Christmas 2001 and Christmas 2000 is that I don't have a visit from Hope to look forward to. And Bethany has already packed on some major fetal flab. Oh, and now Gladdie doesn't need to ask a bazillion questions about my boyfriend, because she's already gotten the dirt from you know who."

Jessica is up in arms again in this much-anticipated, hilarious sequel to Sloppy Firsts. This time the hyerobservant, angst-ridden teenager is going through the social and emotional ordeal of her senior year at Pineville High. Not only does the mysterious and oh-so-compelling Marcus Flutie continue to distract Jessica but her best friend Hope, still lives in another state and she can't seem to escape the clutches of the Clueless Crew, her annoying so-called friends. To top it off, Jessica's parents won't get off her butt about choosing a college and her sister Bethany's pregnancy is causing a big stir in the Darling household.


My thoughts:

In this fun and hilarious second installment of the Jessica Darling series, Jessica finds herself in her senior year of high school with little more than a clue of what she is going to do after she graduates. Marcus Flutie is even more confusing with his silently rebellious T-shirts and his inconspicuous signals that he still has feelings for her. The sexual tension is crazy thick between the two of them and I literally wanted to shout at the book for them to get together already!!

Second helpings is so funny that, again, I was laughing out loud, sometimes without even realizing it! There should be a warning on the cover of these books saying "WARNING: MAY CAUSE SUDDEN OUTBURSTS OF LAUGHTER! TAKE EXTREME CAUTION WHILE READING IN PUBLIC!!" I felt like I had to be careful of where I was reading in case I couldn't control my laughter.

I have really enjoyed being on this journey with Jessica and watching her learn how to stand up for herself. I have to say that one of my favorite characters is her grandmother Gladdie because she is just completely forward and in your face. She isn't afraid to tell Jessica that she needs to follow her heart no matter what her parent say. I also love that she is a big supporter of Marcus and their relationship.

Although this book can sometimes be frustrating because Jessica is her own worst critic, it has definitely become one of my favorite series right now. It's a great crossover from adult to young adult fiction that readers of both will love!

1 comments:

Lacey Weatherford said...

This book sounds great! Thanks for the review! I hadn't heard of it before! I will have to check it out! :D
The Delusional Diaries

Post a Comment

I love feedback and really want to know what you think! Comment away!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Cute Little Monster kit by MK-Designs