12 April 2011

Review-Twenty Boy Summer

Title: Twenty Boy Summer
Author: Sarah Ockler
Publisher: Little Brown
Rating: 5/5
Find it here: Goodreads, Amazon

Blurb:

"Don't worry, Anna. I'll tell her, okay? Just let me think about the best way to do it."
"Okay."
"Promise me? Promise me you won't say anything?"
"Don't worry." I laughed. "It's our secret right?"

According to her best friend Frankie, twenty days in Zanzibar Bay is the perfect opportunity to have a summer fling, and if they meet one boy every day, there's a pretty good chance that Anna will find her first summer romance. Anna lightheartedly agrees to the game, but there's something she hasn't told Frankie-she's already had that kind of romance, and it was with Frankie's older brother, Matt, just before his tragic death one year ago.

My thoughts:

On the cover of the copy of the book that I bought it said that Twenty Boy Summer will tear your heart apart and then put it back together. That is exactly what it did. I was in tears by chapter two and I was having a hard time keeping it together through the first half of the book. But then everything turns around and even though it was not the perfect happy ending, it was realistic.

I really enjoyed reading the character Anna because she reminds me a lot of me. The way she keeps all her emotions and thoughts inside is a lot like me when I was growing up. But she is also kind, compassionate and selfless when it came to her best friend's happiness. I also learned a lot from Anna and the importance of moving on with life even though you've suffered a life altering loss.

Sarah Ockler's writing style is beautiful and fantastic. Although Twenty Boy Summer may seem like a lighthearted, fluffy read, it is so much deeper and inspiring than I would have imagined.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just recently bought this, it's on the way... glad you liked it so much. Now I know I made a good purchase!

Nice review :)

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

Nice review. The book sounds like a good read. Thanks.

Post a Comment

I love feedback and really want to know what you think! Comment away!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Cute Little Monster kit by MK-Designs