08 May 2012

Review- Breaking Beautiful

Title: Breaking Beautiful
Author: Jennifer Shaw Wolf
Publisher: Walker Children's
Find it here: Amazon, Goodreads
Source: ARC compliments of the publisher

Allie lost everything the night her boyfriend, Trip, died in a horrible car accident—including her memory of the event. As their small town mourns his death, Allie is afraid to remember because doing so means delving into what she’s kept hidden for so long: the horrible reality of their abusive relationship.

When the police reopen the investigation, it casts suspicion on Allie and her best friend, Blake, especially as their budding romance raises eyebrows around town. Allie knows she must tell the truth. Can she reach deep enough to remember that night so she can finally break free? Debut writer Jennifer Shaw Wolf takes readers on an emotional ride through the murky waters of love, shame, and, ultimately, forgiveness.

My thoughts: 

Breaking Beautiful is about a girl dealing with the after math of a very serious car accident that ended her boyfriend’s life and coming to terms with their abusive relationship after his death. Most of the crash is missing from her memory because of her head injury but it turns out there is a lot more surrounding the accident than she first believed.

I really wanted to absolutely love this book. I really did. I mean, look at that gorgeous cover! I’ve been pinning for this book ever since I read the synopsis almost a year ago. But to be honest, because I must always be honest, it was slow and hard to get into. It’s evident after the first two chapters that her boyfriend was abusing her for most of their two year relationship. There are a few flashbacks but I really would have liked more.

I have a really hard time reading books about abusive relationships because they really get my blood boiling. Personally I can never understand what it’s like to love someone and have that same someone hurt you over and over again. If it had been me, I would have kicked him to the curb the first time he laid a hand on me. The part that really pissed me off was when he hit her in front of his friends and they pretended like they didn’t see it. What a bunch of pussies for not standing up to their friend.

I didn’t like that everything happened so suddenly at the end. I think I would have liked it better if it had been more progressive. A whole lot of shit when down at the end, almost all at the same time. Maybe the book wouldn’t have been so slow if it happened intermittently instead of all at once. I was feeling overwhelmed while I was reading it. I give Breaking Beautiful 3 hearts because even though it was heartbreaking it was slow going.


1 comments:

Molli @ Once Upon a Prologue said...

I hated Trip with a passion, and I hated his friend James, too. I was so proud of Allie for growing and standing up for herself and finally letting herself be happy. This one was sort of a slower paced book, come to think of it. I really loved it, and I'm glad you liked it.

Post a Comment

I love feedback and really want to know what you think! Comment away!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Cute Little Monster kit by MK-Designs