13 August 2012

Review: Embrace

Title: Embrace
Author: Jessica Shirvington
Series: The Violet Eden Chapters #1
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Find it here: Amazon, Goodreads
Source: Purchased

It starts with a whisper: "It's time for you to know who you are..."
On her 17th birthday, everything will change for Violet Eden. The boy she loves will betray her. Her enemy will save her. She will have to decide just how much she's willing to sacrifice.

Dangerously exciting and darkly romantic, EMBRACE is a compelling novel of good and evil, seductive desires and impossible choices. A centuries old war between fallen angels and the protectors of humanity chooses a new fighter. It's a battle Violet doesn't want, but she lives her life by two rules: don't run and don't quit. If angels seek vengeance and humans are the warriors, you could do a lot worse than betting on Violet Eden.

LINCOLN: He's been Violet's one anchor, her running partner and kickboxing trainer. Only he never told her he's Grigori--part human, part angel--and that he was training her for an ancient battle between Angels and Exiles.

PHOENIX: No one knows where his loyalties lie, yet he's the only one there to pick up the pieces and protect her after Lincoln's lies. In a world of dark and light, he is all shades of gray.

Two sides: Angel or Exile.

Two guys: Lincoln or Phoenix.

The wrong choice could cost not only her life, but her eternity...

My thoughts: 

Whenever I come across a synopsis that I like and then discover that it’s an angel book, for some reason it always turns me off. I really don’t know why. Most of the angel books that I’ve read I have really liked. Unearthly is one of my favorite series so I definitely like angel books. So when Embrace came out, I never got around to reading it even though I was hearing great reviews! I finally made the decision to read it when I received a copy of Entice for review. And I am kicking myself for waiting so long!

I really loved Embrace! The story was really great and addicting. I found that I couldn’t wait to get back to the book while I was at work or doing something that didn’t involve reading! The author poses a very unique look at how angels come to be and the purpose of their existence. Enough information was revealed so that the reader can understand but enough was also kept secret to keep the reading wanting to know more! I was totally enthralled with all the action as well and always contemplating what was going to happen next.

I loved almost all the characters in Embrace! Violet was a great main character because she made really awesome decisions and she had good reasons for why she made those decisions. She’s strong, can kick your ass and doesn’t give up no matter what! And Lincoln! OMG Lincoln is one Hottie McTottie! He taught Violet how to fight for the past couple years and he flirts with her all the time! And then we learn that he is half angel and I just wanted to melt! Even though I’m usually not a fan of love triangles, this love triangle was awesome! Phoenix is also hot and totally into Violet! The characters really made the story!

I love a YA book that’s not afraid to tackle the sex question! There’s flirting, sexual tension, making out and even *gasp* sex! Shirvington’s characters have sex and she doesn’t gloss over it. Not that it’s graphic by any means, but the main character is left to deal with the consequence of what she did. I’m excited to see how this further plays out in the next book!

Embrace is a really great read and one I would recommend to those who really enjoy angel books! It’s exciting, fresh, unique and full of hotties which means that I have to give it 4.5 hearts! One of my favorite reads this year!


1 comments:

fishgirl182 said...

i am not a huge angel person either, though i enjoy the ones i read. i think i got book 2 at ala as well, which means i need to get on this one stat!

Post a Comment

I love feedback and really want to know what you think! Comment away!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Cute Little Monster kit by MK-Designs