05 October 2012

Review: A Discovery of Witches

Title: A Discovery of Witches
Author: Deborah Harkness
Series: All Souls Trilogy #1
Publisher: Penguin Books
Find it here: Amazon, Goodreads
Source: Purchased

A richly inventive novel about a centuries-old vampire, a spellbound witch, and the mysterious manuscript that draws them together.

Deep in the stacks of Oxford's Bodleian Library, young scholar Diana Bishop unwittingly calls up a bewitched alchemical manuscript in the course of her research. Descended from an old and distinguished line of witches, Diana wants nothing to do with sorcery; so after a furtive glance and a few notes, she banishes the book to the stacks. But her discovery sets a fantastical underworld stirring, and a horde of daemons, witches, and vampires soon descends upon the library. Diana has stumbled upon a coveted treasure lost for centuries-and she is the only creature who can break its spell.

Debut novelist Deborah Harkness has crafted a mesmerizing and addictive read, equal parts history and magic, romance and suspense. Diana is a bold heroine who meets her equal in vampire geneticist Matthew Clairmont, and gradually warms up to him as their alliance deepens into an intimacy that violates age-old taboos. This smart, sophisticated story harks back to the novels of Anne Rice, but it is as contemporary and sensual as the Twilight series-with an extra serving of historical realism.

My thoughts: 

I remember thinking when A Discovery of Witches came out that I absolutely have to read that book because it sounds so amazing! It was getting rave reviews and I love books that deal with witches and magic. So why did it take me so long to finally read it!? I have no idea but I'm definitely kicking myself for not reading it sooner! 

I love the whole aspect of the story that there's all these family secrets and the fact that Diana does not want to be a witch and choose not to participate in all these witchy things.  So she run to the opposite of witchcraft which is facts, history and studying things that have evidence.  She is super smart and doesn't let anything get in the way of her studies and research.  She is also very determined.  She has a tough time coming to terms with notions that she could possibly be the chosen one and that her magic and relationship could bring about the biggest change known to her supernatural kind.  

Matthew is such a great character and one of my favorite vampires of all the vampire books that I've read. He is such a gentleman and deeply rooted in old fashioned chivalry while being very fierce and protective at the same time.  He is the ideal vampire. And he's smart and sexy to boot.  Even all the side characters were really great! They all have their own very unique personalities and while I was reading some of the vampires, I truly believed that they had been living for over a thousand years! The characterization in A Discovery is Witches is phenomenal! 

I love that A Discovery of Witches is a mix of supernatural creatures instead of focusing on just one. If witches can exist why not vampires? Even though it is a pretty long read, it is richly detailed and very interesting.  I give A Discovery of Witches 5 hearts for finally portraying vampires how I always imagined them to be.  And can I say new book boyfriend? Most definitely!


3 comments:

Alexa said...

I recently got a copy of this book because so many people were raving about it. I guess I shall have to try to read it sooner rather than later since it was so amazing!

Thanks for the great review, so glad you fell in love with it and got a new book boyfriend :)

Kat said...

I started reading A Discovery of Witches-- still have it on my bookshelf-- but put it down again for library books. Sounds like I need to try it again soon! From what little I read, I really liked Diana and the Oxford setting-- didn't get to see too much of Matthew yet. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

fishgirl182 said...

yay you read this one! i love matthew, too. such a gentleman. and he does yoga. i have to read shadow of night soon. :)

Post a Comment

I love feedback and really want to know what you think! Comment away!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Cute Little Monster kit by MK-Designs