25 October 2011

Review- Bad Girls Don't Die

Title: Bad Girls Don't Die
Author: Katie Alender
Series: Bad Girls Don't Die #1
Publisher: Hyperion
Find it here: Amazon, Goodreads
Source: Purchased
When Alexis's little sister Kasey becomes obsessed with an antique doll, Alexis thinks nothing of it. Kasey is a weird kid. Period. Alexis is considered weird, too, by the kids in her high school, by her parents, even by her own Goth friends. Things get weirder, though, when the old house they live in starts changing. Doors open and close by themselves; water boils on the unlit stove; and an unplugged air conditioner turns the house cold enough to see their breath in. Kasey is changing, too. Her blue eyes go green and she speaks in old-fashioned language, then forgets chunks of time.

Most disturbing of all is the dangerous new chip on Kasey's shoulder. The formerly gentle, doll-loving child is gone, and the new Kasey isangry. Alexis is the only one who can stop her sister — but what if that green-eyed girl isn't even Kasey anymore?

My thoughts: 

I really love scary/horror type books and I usually don't set the bar very high for them either.  As long as they can pretty much scare the crap out of me, I love it.  That's my only criteria.  So when I first started reading Bad Girls Don't Die, I didn't realize that it is supposed to be scary.  It does't start to get creepy until a third of the way through.  And when it got creepy, it got really creepy.  

I mean, what's creepier than a little girl whose eyes change colors, who stares menacingly at her sister and a really old antique doll.  Now, I don't have a deathly fear of all dolls whether porcelain, glass or stuffed, but some dolls are really scary looking.  And I imagine this doll to be especially creepy. 

So this doll acts as a conduit between the ghost that is haunting the house and Alexis and is able to possess Alexis.  We always know when Alexis is possessed because her normal blue eyes turn bright green.  She begins to sabotage her older sister Kasey and gets their mom to believe that she is the blame for every accident that has happened. 

I'm a real big fan of horror and was pleasantly surprised by this novel.  It's not super, super scary, but it definitely has the right amount of creep factor.


8 comments:

StephTheBookworm said...

Ooh, I too love scary/creepy books. I have this book out from the library right now - good to know it's got a good creep factor! The cover is pretty creepy.

Jennifer | Mrs Q Book Addict said...

I've seen this book around, but I didn't think it was suppose to be scary. I'm interested...Great review!

Anna @ Literary Exploration said...

This one and its sequel are sitting on my shelf right now and I need to read them soon!!

Chey said...

I really enjoyed this one too. Great Halloween read. I hear that the sequel is even creepier, so I have to get that soon!

Katie Alender said...

LOL, that's so funny, because when I set out to write it, I didn't know it was scary! So we approached it from the same mindset, LOL.

So glad you enjoyed it... and a word of warning--I didn't used to think dolls were scary, either, but once you start looking at them you can see the evil lurking in their little faces!

Thank you for the great review. :-)

Bookish Brunette said...

Dude!!! I've been dying to read this series!!! Dolls have always seriously creeped me out! Ever since Chucky... *cringe*

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

I'm glad it isn't super super scary because then it would be too much for me.

grace crawford said...

Omg this was the best book ever it had times were it got creepy and time we're you were just ready to jump out of your seat and also this book will have you reading for hours under your covers in the middle off the night.
Dependable reliable San Antonio Maid Service click here

Post a Comment

I love feedback and really want to know what you think! Comment away!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Cute Little Monster kit by MK-Designs