27 October 2011

Review- Personal Demons

Title: Personal Demons
Author: Lisa Desrochers
Series: Personal Demons #1
Publisher: Tor Teen
Find it here: Amazon, Goodreads
Source: Purchased

Frannie Cavanaugh is a good Catholic girl with a bit of a wicked streak. She has spent years keeping everyone at a distance---even her closest friends---and it seems as if her senior year is going to be more of the same . . . until Luc Cain enrolls in her class. No one knows where he came from, but Frannie can’t seem to stay away from him.

What she doesn’t know is that Luc is on a mission. He’s been sent from Hell itself to claim Frannie’s soul. It should be easy---all he has to do is get her to sin, and Luc is as tempting as they come. Frannie doesn’t stand a chance. But he has to work fast, because if the infernals are after her, the celestials can’t be far behind. And sure enough, it’s not long before the angel Gabriel shows up, willing to do anything to keep Luc from getting what he came for. It isn’t long before they find themselves fighting for more than just Frannie’s soul.

But if Luc fails, there will be Hell to pay . . . for all of them.

My thoughts: 

When I heard that Lisa Desrochers was going to be at the Orange County Children's Book Fair, I knew that I Had to at leas read one of her books.  So I picked up Personal Demons and I ended up liking what I read.  I had a hard time getting into the flow of the writing style but the story was just too interesting to give up that easily.

I felt the characters are very distinct and there's no question of whose good and whose evil.  It's very laid out from the start.

Surprisingly, the main character Frannie was my least favorite character.  Mainly because I don't like people who can't make a decision.  And let me tell you, Frannie can't decide between Luc and Gabriel.  To me, there's no need to make a decision at all! I'm with Luc all the way.  But of course, I always go for the bad boy types.  

So we have Frannie who is, more often than not, making out with both of these boys, one a demon and one an angel.  Now I can expect this kind of behavior from a demon but seriously Gabriel! You're supposed to be making sure she remains pure and that her soul is not going to hell! 

Luc's character is very dynamic and he changes dramatically through the novel which makes him one of my favorite characters.  Towards the end he finds himself lost and questioning his purposed and mission.

Personal Demons is definitely one of the more hot and steamier novels in YA right now.  I hope in Original Sin that we get to see some of the scenes from Gabriel's perspective.  


5 comments:

Nina said...

I really liked Personal Demons, but I couldn't stand Frannie either. I mean, Frannie, common, choose one and stick with him. I loved Luc, he was so HOT. lol. And what was up with Gabriel. He was too....I don't know...but I could just not stand him. Hopefully we get to know him better in the sequal. Great review.

Gianne said...

I want to read this book... And it's steamy? Oh goodness, YES! ;D But I'm sorry to hear you couldn't like this better than you did.

Great review! :)

Bookish Brunette said...

I've really been wanting to start this series! I've been noticing a trend in steamy YA books! Lol

Book Crook Liza said...

I just bought this one a few weeks ago and now I REALLY WANT TO START IT! I'm excited to hear it's hot and steamy!!!!!! :D Just what I need! ;)

Liza @ Book Crook Liza

Ron C. Nieto said...

This would sound like a book I'd have wanted to read, if I had seen the blurb alone... So, thanks for your review!

I really, really have a issue with the whole "I want both of them... and it lasts 300-ish pages before I make up my mind" drama.

And, a question: making out constantly with both Luc AND Gabriel... doesn't that count as "sin"? If not, what does?

Thanks again for the comments!

Ron @ Stories of my life

Post a Comment

I love feedback and really want to know what you think! Comment away!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Cute Little Monster kit by MK-Designs