11 October 2011

Review- Bright Young Things

Title: Bright Young Things
Author: Anna Godbersen
Series: Bright Young Things #1
Publisher: HarperCollins
Find it here: Amazon, Goodreads
Source: Purchased

The year is 1929. New York is ruled by the Bright Young Things: flappers and socialites seeking thrills and chasing dreams in the anything-goes era of the Roaring Twenties.

Letty Larkspur and Cordelia Grey escaped their small Midwestern town for New York's glittering metropolis. All Letty wants is to see her name in lights, but she quickly discovers Manhattan is filled with pretty girls who will do anything to be a star…

Cordelia is searching for the father she's never known, a man as infamous for his wild parties as he is for his shadowy schemes. Overnight, she enters a world more thrilling and glamorous than she ever could have imagined—and more dangerous. It's a life anyone would kill for . . . and someone will.

The only person Cordelia can trust is Astrid Donal, a flapper who seems to have it all: money, looks, and the love of Cordelia's brother, Charlie. But Astrid's perfect veneer hides a score of family secrets.

Across the vast lawns of Long Island, in the illicit speakeasies of Manhattan, and on the blindingly lit stages of Broadway, the three girls' fortunes will rise and fall—together and apart.

My thoughts: 

Anna Godbersen is literally one of my favorites authors in YA and she has been for a long time now. As a huge fan of the Luxe series, and being terribly disappointed when it ended, I knew that I was going to fall in love with her new series set in the glamorous era of the 1920's.  And I was not wrong!

I love her writing style and the way she chronicles the lives of each girl from their separate perspectives.  I also like that the same scene can be seen from two different girls, each with their own feelings and biases.  It's almost like reading three or four different books in one because of the uniqueness of each character.  I just can't imagine living in the 1920's only having to worry about who I was going to marry or who I was going to invite to my next glamorous and fancy party.  Godbersen also portrays the harsh realities of living a life of wealth and privilege.

There's so much mystery and deceit going on within the various characters lives.  Everyone lies to everyone at least once during the book and it's always leads to more lies to cover up the lies that were said in the first place!  Whether they're lying about relationships, changing their name, lying about money, cheating or just plain being fake, there's always something interesting going on!

My least favorite character was Astrid because she just seemed a little too whinny for me.  She seemed to be the perfect example of the poor little rich girl.  I really hope her character grows up in the next book.  Also, my least favorite scene in the book was the scene with the dogs! I just can't sand it when animals get hurt.  I know that it's a reality of life, but it's a reality I choose to ignore and pretend like it doesn't happen.  If I didn't I would have a house full of cats and dogs that I wouldn't be able to afford to take care of! 

The Bright Young Things series is another slam dunk by Anna Godbersen and sure to become very popular among her fans.  I would recommend it anyone who loved the Luxe!


3 comments:

Jennifer | Mrs Q Book Addict said...

I haven't read anything by her, but this one is on my immediate tbr list. I love this time period, and I think I will love this one.

Bookish Brunette said...

I don't know... For some reason, I just don't want to read this series! I'm not much for historical pieces though...

Anna @ Literary Exploration said...

This book is sitting on my shelf so I'm glad it's good :) I'll have to get to it soon! Great review!

Post a Comment

I love feedback and really want to know what you think! Comment away!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Cute Little Monster kit by MK-Designs