08 October 2011

Review- Remembrance

Title: Remembrance
Author: Michelle Madow
Publisher: Dreamscape Publishing
Find it here: Amazon, Goodreads
Source: eBook compliments of the author

New Hampshire high school junior Lizzie Davenport has been reincarnated from Regency Era, England ... but she doesn't know it yet.

Then Drew Carmichael transfers into Lizzie's school at the beginning of the year, and she feels a connection to him, almost like she knows him. She can't stop thinking about him, but whenever she tries talking with him about the mysteries behind her feelings, he makes it clear that he wants nothing to do with her. Reaching him is even more difficult because she has a boyfriend, Jeremy, who has started to become full of himself after being elected co-captain of the varsity soccer team, and her flirtatious best friend Chelsea starts dating Drew soon after his arrival. So why can't she seem to get him out of her mind?

Even though Lizzie knows she should let go of her fascination with Drew, the pair of them soon find that fighting fate isn't going to be easy.

My thoughts:

I really love stories dealing with love that is so strong that transcend time in the hopes that it will work out int the future.  I also love stories dealing with reincarnation, history and relics from the past.

After meeting the very dark and mysterious Drew, Lizzie start to have weird dreams and flashes from the past that seem very real to her.  She is also insanely attracted to him, unlike anything she has ever felt.  She starts to risk everything she has ever known for a guy she barley knows but has a deep connection with.

I really enjoyed Lizzie and the connections she had with the dress and the Jane Austen books that seemed to belong to her in another life.  I wish there was more to it though.  I wanted to know the history of the dress and why it was so important to her.  I also would have liked the Jane Austen books to have played more of a part in the story.  I also wanted to know more about the shop keeper and the significance of her importance.  I felt like he could have guided her more.

Even though I enjoyed the story, I felt like it is very typical of many YA novels out there.  There's the instant love and attraction between two character, the whole "I like him but I can't do anything about it because my best friend saw him first", and the main character who is just very indecisive.  I want to read a story about a very strong and independent girl who will risk everything for love that she knows is true no matter what the consequences.

With all that said, I still really enjoyed the book! I don't know if it's a series or not, but I thought that it make a good stand alone book.


1 comments:

Anna @ Literary Exploration said...

I've been debating on whether or not I wanted to pick this one up, but it sounds pretty interesting. Although, I'm also not a big fan of the insta-love connections, i'll still probably pick it up, but I'll get it from the library.

Post a Comment

I love feedback and really want to know what you think! Comment away!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Cute Little Monster kit by MK-Designs