23 June 2012

Review: Amy and Roger's Epic Detour

Title: Amy and Roger's Epic Detour
Author: Morgan Matson
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Find it here: Amazon, Goodreads
Source: Purchased

Amy Curry thinks her life sucks. Her mom decides to move from California to Connecticut to start anew--just in time for Amy's senior year. Her dad recently died in a car accident. So Amy embarks on a road trip to escape from it all, driving cross-country from the home she's always known toward her new life. Joining Amy on the road trip is Roger, the son of Amy's mother's old friend. Amy hasn't seen him in years, and she is less than thrilled to be driving across the country with a guy she barely knows. So she's surprised to find that she is developing a crush on him. At the same time, she's coming to terms with her father's death and how to put her own life back together after the accident. Told in traditional narrative as well as scraps from the road--diner napkins, motel receipts, postcards--this is the story of one girl's journey to find herself.

My thoughts: 

Amy and Roger’s Epic Detour is a great way to start off your summer reading! It my first road trip book and I don’t think I could have picked a better one! It was also my first Morgan Matson novel, and after going to her signing for Second Chance Summer, she really seemed like an amazing writer! Road trips are my favorite ways to travel and see the United States so I knew I was going to absolutely love this book.

The emotion that I felt for this book so early on could only compare to Sara Ockler’s Twenty Boy Summer in which I started crying during chapter 2. After the first few pages, I felt the sadness, the loneliness and the darkness that comes after the death of a loved one and emotions like that really hit me hard.

Amy’s mom has decided to move her across county and because of last minute plans the only way for her to get there is for Amy to drive across county with a guy she hasn’t seen since elementary school. Amy’s mom leaves a detailed plan of where they are driving and where they’re supposed to stay but Amy decides she wants to be disobedient for once in her life and Roger has ulterior motives for the detour as well!

For Amy, the road trip become s a way for her to grieve for the loss of her father and for her to get over a lot of guilt that she’s been holding on to. For Roger, the road trip is a way for him to finally get over his first and intense love; an ex-girlfriend from his first year in college. As they travel together, they grow to know each other and trust the other one.

I really loved this book and stories like this are why I’ve come to love young adult contemporary. They’re so sweet and make me believe that true love is out there for everyone! I give Amy and Roger’s Epic Detour 5 stars because road trips are near and dear to my heart!



2 comments:

Aneeqah said...

Yay! I'm so happy to hear that you loved this one. I just recently bought this one at a local bookstore [Half-Price Books]. I'm definitely excited to read this one now! It sounds like such a perfect summer read. Lovely review, Crystal! =)

-Aneeqah @ My Not So Real Life

Lisa said...

I loved A&R! It was an amazing book for all of the reasons you mentioned :) I have Twenty Boy Summer sitting on my shelf - can't wait to read it at the end of the year. Great review!

Post a Comment

I love feedback and really want to know what you think! Comment away!!

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Cute Little Monster kit by MK-Designs